Sunday, December 12, 2010

Three Drunken Nights by SNAKEHORN

Three Drunken Nights by Snakehorn
I recorded this song in the early morning one October day in 2010. It was put to tape in the office of my apartment along the banks of the muddy Wabash. It's been a couple of years since I've done any home recording...so I needed a refresher course. I chose this song at random and got down to it. The song "Seven Drunken Nights" is an old humorous Irish folk song based on an earlier English ballad, "Our Goodman". It was made popular in the late 60's by The Dubliners. It's basically about a guy who comes home sauced to the gills every night, looking for evidence that his wife has been with another man. His wife explains that he is just a drunken fool and everything is in order. By the end of the song you realize that the wife actually is bedding down with another man. I took some liberties with the arrangement, and wrote a new vocal melody. I wanted to change the idea of the song completely. In my version, the husband is simply drunk and suspicious. The wife has not been cheating. She is just married to a pathetic old wino. This song is featured on the blog, The Modern Folk Music of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment